Plough Book Sales
Online Catalogue last updated 17th of April 2014
Southern Cross Engines An Illustrated History of Toowoomba Foundry's Steam, Internal-Combustion and Windmill Engines by Rob Laurent
For 74 years Australia's Toowoomba Foundry produced a range of steam, petrol, kerosene and diesel engines. Each bore the name Southern Cross.
From the simple 1½ hp Farm Pump to 100-ton locomotives, the Southern Cross reputation for ruggedness and reliability was known across the globe.
In Southern Cross Engines Rob Laurent traces the origins of this famous marque back to a primitive hand-made steam engine in 1876. Using a variety of sources, such as official documents saved from the scrap bin and the memories of men who made the engines, he follows developments at the Foundry until 1983 - when the last engine was made. Included here are the Southern Cross windmills and the many other products and ventures of this enterprising firm.
- coverage of every model of Southern Cross Engine, including prototypes and experiments
- There are hundreds of black & white illustrations, period advertisements, photos of working and restored engines, parts diagrams, etc.
- Also included are Southern Cross windmills, aircraft, lawnmowers, boats, pumps etc.
- Production data for 90,000 engines
- Brief biographies of the chief engine designers
- Complete company history from 1871 to present day
Code No. 010035, 296 pages, ISBN 0958192103, $47.00
This item is listed under the following subjects:
Home Page | Contents Page (Catalogue) | Information Pages | What's New | Links | Search Entire Site | Order Form
Plough Book Sales, P.O. Box 14, Belmont, Vic. 3216, Australia
Phone: 03 52661262 (International +61 3 52661262)
FAX: 03 52662180 (International +61 3 52662180)
© 2001-2008, Plough Book Sales